The Power of a Simple Testimony
"Forty six years ago . . . I was called to meet with President David O. McKay. He . . . called me to be one of the General Authorities, an Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. . . ."President McKay explained that one of the responsibilities of an Assistant to the Twelve was to stand with the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as a special witness and to bear testimony that Jesus is the Christ. What he said next overwhelmed me: 'Before we proceed to set you apart, I ask you to bear your testimony to us. We want to know if you have that witness.'"I did the best I could. I bore my testimony the same as I might have in a fast and testimony meeting in my ward. To my surprise, the Brethren of the Presidency seemed pleased and proceeded to confer the office upon me."That puzzled me greatly, for I had supposed that someone called to such an office would have an unusual, different, and greatly enlarged testimony and spiritual power."It puzzled me for a long time until finally I could see that I already had what was required: an abiding testimony in my heart of the Restoration of the fulness of the gospel through the Prophet Joseph Smith, that we have a Heavenly Father, and that Jesus Christ is our Redeemer. I may not have known all about it, but I did have a testimony, and I was willing to learn. . . .
Boyd K. Packer, "The Weak and the Simple of the Church," Ensign, Nov. 2007, 7 8

No comments:
Post a Comment